Lost your password? (close)

Shapeways CP-Fairyland Neck Connector Review

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a listing for a 3d printed CP-Fairyland neck connector on Shapeways.  This is an independently designed connector piece compatible with old CP Delfs and new Fairyland headsculpts.  It was relatively inexpensive at around $8 and some change, so I decided to purchase one and give it a go.  It arrived back on May 13th.  I’ve been super busy so haven’t had time to do more than take a few snapshots. 

The other day I finally had a chance to try it on one of the bodies with my Vampire Shiwoo head.  For the record, it works perfect with each of the CP heads I popped it into.  It also works pretty decent on the 68cm Mirodoll body, but I would think a thinner neck would be more optimal for that piece. Also, it’s a bit rough so I would recommend sanding the edges down a bit so they don’t rub too hard at the resin neck.  That being said, it works very nicely. 

I did have a snag, though.  None of my extra S-hooks available were open S-hooks!  That means I couldn’t actually loop it onto the cross piece.  Instead, I compromised by putting the elastic itself over the cross-turnkey piece.  This does create a problem.  One, the tension is now too tight to easily move the turnkey.  I had to use my hemostats to grip the elastic at the neck and then thread everything through and turn the turnkey before releasing the hemostats.  And two, the range of motion is decreased.  However, for a quick fix, this works perfect!  I’ll work on getting some more S-hooks and try the mobility out later. 

Honestly, for a cheap 3D printed neck connector, this works perfect!  I’ll definitely be purchasing a few more in the future.  I still need connectors for Odan and Sorde, and also for Tyr’h when I get him finally. 
Continue reading »

Kor is Home~

Officially yesterday, Kor came home.  I had time to check him out before we had to leave and run errands, then passed out asleep when I got home.  I was so excited!  The package arrived late at the P.O., so I didn’t expect him out until the next day but the mailman made a special trip, in his personal car nonetheless, to bring him home!  I cut the package open with my box cutter like I always do (and I’m super careful), but one of the promo pieces inside was flush with the packaging opening and got sliced.  T_T  Oh well.  =snuffles=

I have to say… Switch’s sculpt in person is gorgeous!  I have absolutely no regrets in this purchase.  Not like I ever do, lol!  I do still wish he could have been a full normal Soseo, but honestly?  Haseo is so bloody breath-taking that I’m okay with it!  He’s just a bit more gentle.  Man, why do all my bad guys need to look so gentle? haha!  I really wanted to try him on a body so… poor Rem got bumped.  Remiel, who is staring at me from the table beside me bodiless~  Ah… Rem… my love~ *_* 

Anyway, Kor looks perfect on the Mirodoll 66cm body.  I mean, perfect!  Future purchase will be in the works.  The Switch resin is a slightly lighter color and not as pink, but will be unnoticeable by the time he’s got a faceup.  Plus, it matches the other Mirodoll resin color I have more, but I believe this pinker shade is their new standard.  The head range of movement is amazing and not sueded.  I’ve popped in those brown default Iplehouse eyes that came with Bael and gave him the random beige-ish fur wig that I got for free with Briean, for now.  None of which match his character at all, but at least make him feel less than empty.  Goodness, I’m just loving him so much!

If things work out, I want to try painting him today.  And hopefully finishing Bael.  Man, while I’m at it… I should just paint Sorde as well and them my demon triumvirate would be complete…. @__@

Continue reading »

Apoxie Sculpt Tinting Experiment 001

Cross-posting this from DoA.  Thought I should probably share here, hehe!  There was a small discussion about tinting Apoxie Sculpt to match resin colors.  Talking about the acrylic inks made me curious… so I did an Apoxie tinting comparison test, lol!

From left to right:
Liquitex Basics – Burnt Sienna
Liquitex Heavy Body – Quinacridone Magenta & Bronze Yellow
Liquitex ink! – Burnt Sienna

I used white Apoxie Sculpt. I could have added a bit more of the Basics to the mix before it got too slippery and over-added the Heavy Body when trying to mix up a second batch of the color… and made it a bit too pink overall, lolz. I really need to buy me some Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber in heavy body~ /o\ The ink took it really well! It’s lighter, but this acrylic ink is transparent. The color is smooth (less marbling) and blended better than the Heavy Body and Basics into the Apoxie. I don’t have any of the opaque acrylic inks on hand (except my black I believe) to try how it might differ. If I have time later I’ll try mixing my black with the Burnt Sienna and seeing how it goes.

The color did work really well with the Apoxie! At this color depth it wasn’t slippery at all. I’m not sure if I kept adding more of the ink to the clay if it’d get darker, but I think adding in one of the opaque and/or also adding in black would be more efficient in getting the darker tone.

I still have a Minifee Karsh head waiting on me to finish modding his eyes, so this might be the push I needed to try tinting the clay to match, hehe! Not to mention I’ve been wanting to mod the ankles of my Mirodoll 60cm girl body feet so they don’t sit so deep inside the ankles…. =wibbles= And fix those knee backs on the new 1/4 girl body!

So many projects, so little time~!